Friday, November 28, 2008

Choice, Mommy, Choice

I faithfully read Babycenter and they advised that I can avoid Terrible Three tantrums by offering choices.  Babybear does really well when I explain why he cannot do something or if I offer him a choice between two things. 

I did not have to go to work today b/c of the Thanksgiving holiday. So we spent the day playing with a small ball which we would roll, catch, and shoot. We sat across from each other and took turns rolling the ball, throwing it, catching it, or shooting it into the laundry basket. I was working on giving Evan simple two-step instructions to follow.

He later found a bigger yellow ball and when it was his turn, he would say, "Choice, Mommy, Choice" and imply that I had to chose one ball. He generally had his mind set on one ball that he wanted me to choose. So if I chose the wrong ball, he would try to get me to choose the other ball. I had to chuckle b/c this was very similar to the choices I give him. The choices are somewhat unappealing so he's generally forced to do what I want him to do in the first place. But he feels empowered b/c he's making the "final" decision.  

We also spent some time drawing. He drew a small oval for "Mommy's bed" and a huge oval for "my bed". Again, it shed some light into Babybear's inner workings since he has a crib-mattress size CAR bed and I have a queen size bed. LOL!

I had a fabulous day with him and am so glad we got this rare opportunity to just hang out and chill. Complete with eskimo kisses and homemade Babybear sandwiches, courtesy of Melissa and Doug's sandwich making set

Sweater update- The sweater is in its final stages of completion. My mom is piecing it together as I have no patience to do so and then I have to make the collar..... Hopefully I'll have photos posted by Sunday. (I am about a month late though.... alas.) AND there's a huge boo-boo that I could not fix. I purled a row in the sweater that should have been knitted. (Does that make sense?) ARGH!

No comments: